- Published: Monday, 09 December 2013 18:48
- Written by Pati Jacobs
This is a very easy recipe to prepare. It takes time, but most of the work is done by your refrigerator and the oven.
2 to 3 lbs. Eye of Round Roast
4 tsp. kosher salt, or 3 tsp. sea salt 1 Tbsp. olive oil 1 Tbsp. vegeeible oil Ground pepper to taste
1. Sprinkle salt on roast. Place roast on large plate. Cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 18 to 24 hours.
2. Remove roast from refrigerator. Pat dry with paper towels. Rub down with 1 Tbsp. of olive oil and season with pepper. Loosely wrap in plastic wrap and allow to rise to room temperature for 1 to 2 hours.
3. Place oven rack in middle of oven. Pre-heat oven to 225 degrees. Set wire rack inside large baking sheet with rims and lined with foil.
4. Heat 1 Tbsp. of vegetable in large iron skillet (about 12 inches in diameter). Get it almost to smoking before placing roast in pan. Brown roast on all sides (about 12 minutes all together). Reduce heat accordingly to prevent scorching
5. Place roast on rack in pan, fat side up. Place pan directly in center of oven. Leave oven at 225 degrees for 1 hour 15 minutes. Check roast at that time with instant-read thermometor. Roast should read 115 degrees at center of meat.
6. Turn oven off and let roast continue to cook for another 30 minutes. At which time, the middle of roast should read 130 degrees. Should the middle not register 130 degrees, turn the oven back on to 225 degrees let it heat for 5 minutes. Turn off the oven leaving the roast inside to cook until it registers 130 degrees internally.
7. Transfer the roast to a cutting board, tent it with foil and let it rest for 30 minutes. Slice the roast thin and serve.
Just a couple of points about this recipe. I have done it myself and have found that the 1 hour and 15 minutes is more than sufficient to have the roast be medium rare. Don't overcook this roast!
Also, I like my meat to be fairly hot when I serve it. However, resting it for 30 minutes will substantially cool the meat. A friend suggest that you try only resting it for 15 minutes.